Girod Street Cemetery records, 1956-1958 | Louisiana Research Collection
This collection consists of carbon copies and photocopies of an alphabetical listing of burials in the Girod Street Cemetery in New Orleans, La. It was compiled in 1956-1958 by the local Spirit of '76 Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, and incorporates information from the earlier work done by the Louisiana State Museum, through a WPA project in 1935-1936. Information from tombs includes, when available, names of individuals, their birth and death dates, place of birth and death, and family relationships. The earliest birth date recorded was 1755.
The Girod Street Cemetery was founded in 1822 by Christ Episcopal Church, and was demolished in 1957, following a lengthy period of neglect. More than 22,000 bodies were removed when the land was sold to the City of New Orleans. Mass burials were in evidence, resulting from the yellow fever epidemic. The Protestant cemetery was deconsecrated on Jan. 4, 1957. The remains were entombed in the Hope Mausoleum, 4841 Canal Street. The identities of many of those who had been interred in the cemetery are unknown, such as infants, slaves, and epidemic victims. Statuary and carvings were salvaged, and an estimated three million bricks were recycled for use in other building projects.