St. Charles Hotel (New Orleans, La.) | Tulane University Special Collections
Name: St. Charles Hotel (New Orleans, La.)
Historical Note: The earliest handwritten record is in Spanish, and dates back to the 1789 sale of a plot of ground by Beltran Gravier and his wife, Maria Josefa Delonde, to Jacques A. Percy for the sum of 1,500 pesos, which later became the location of the St. Charles Hotel in New Orleans. Subsequent sales by the Percy heirs are documented with a chain of titles, to Robert Montgomery and Greenbury R. Stringer, to the Freret Brothers, to John Hagan, the Exchange Hotel in 1835, and to the St. Charles Hotel in 1844. The hotel was destroyed by fire in 1851 and again in 1894. The third St. Charles Hotel was built in 1896. It was located at 211 St. Charles Avenue in downtown New Orleans, Louisiana. The St. Charles Hotel Company leased the hotel to Andrew R. Blakely and Company in 1896. In 1910 A.R. Blakely and Company sold their managerial interests to Alfred S. Amer and Company.
Sources: Manuscripts Collection 204
Note Author: LAC Group and SP