Communal Hebrew School (New Orleans, La.) | Tulane University Special Collections
Name: Communal Hebrew School (New Orleans, La.)
Historical Note: The Communal Hebrew School was incorporated in 1918 to encourage the study of the Hebrew language and religion. It operated as an afternoon Hebrew school and nursery, designed to promote Jewish studies. On its 20th anniversary, it had an enrollment of 150 pupils in ten classes taught by four faculty members, as well as 800 alumni. Students were drawn from local synagogues and they studied reading, writing, spelling, composition, grammar, history, scripture, and Hebrew literature, all of which were taught in Hebrew. The school's first principal, Ephraim E. Lisitzky, served for thirty-three years. From 1972 until 2004, the school continued as a division of the Jewish Federation of Greater New Orleans.
Sources: Manuscripts Collection 834
Note Author: sp