New Orleans YWCA. | Tulane University Special Collections
Name: New Orleans YWCA.
Fuller Form: Young Women's Christian Association of New Orleans.
Historical Note: The New Orleans YWCA was first established in 1911 at 920 Common Street. Its original services included the provision of rooms, food and a gymnasium; later, educational programs and activities were added. The location has changed numerous times over the years. An African-American branch operated during the 1930s and 1940s. In the early twenty-first century, the YWCA of Greater New Orleans was located at 601 South Jefferson Davis Parkway, but this building was destroyed in Hurricane Katrina, and demolished early in 2011. More information about the YWCA New Orleans and its post-Katrina recovery efforts, is available on the web site: http://www.ywca.org/site/pp.asp?c=fuLSI6OYH&b=66890 " ... the YWCA of Greater New Orleans served as a premier organization providing living accommodations and housing for self-supporting women. It has been at the forefront of social change and service delivery for women and girls since its inception."
Sources: Manuscripts Collection 637
Note Author: sp