Morris, Harry D. (Harry Dunlap), 1906-1978. | Tulane University Special Collections
Harry Dunlap Morris (1906-1978) was born in El Dorado, Oklahoma. He attended Oregon State College followed by post-graduate work at the University of Chicago. He received his medical degree at St. Louis University in 1933. In 1939 he joined the faculty of the Tulane University Medical School as an instructor in orthopedic surgery. He became a full professor in 1960 and was named Emeritus Professor of Orthopedics in 1977. Morris was also senior orthopedic surgeon at several area hospitals in New Orleans, but most known for his work with the Ochsner Clinic. From 1957 to 1967 he was Head of the Department of Orthopedic Surgery and, at the same time, Chief, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, at the Ochsner Foundation Hospital. In 1964 he was named Chief of the Ochsner Clinic's medical staff.
From 1942 to 1947 Morris served on active duty in the United States Army. From 1943 to 1946 he was Chief of the Amputation Center at McCloskey General Hospital and from 1946 to 1947 was Chief, Orthopedic Service, at Percy Jones General Hospital. He received the Army Commendation Medal in 1946. He remained in the reserved through 1967, retiring at the rank of Colonel.
Morris also contributed his profession by serving on numerous boards and committees. He was Vice-President of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (1965-1967), a member of the American Board of Orthopedic Surgeons (1959-1965), served as a Governor of the American College of Surgeons (1962-1965), and was President of the Louisiana Orthopedic Association (1966).