Orleans Neighborhood Centers (New Orleans, La.) | Tulane University Special Collections
Name: Orleans Neighborhood Centers (New Orleans, La.)
Historical Note: On 1927 October 24, the Junior League of New Orleans, Incorporated, established a nutrition center at 111 Royal Street to distribute milk to underprivileged children and to instruct parents in child care and diet. In 1931, responding to community needs, a nursery school, arts and crafts classes, athletics, et cetera were added to the program and the name changed to the Junior League Community Center which relocated to 814 Bourbon Street. By 1937 the program had expanded so much that the Junior League felt it could no longer support it. It was thus turned over to the Community Chest. A separate board was formed and it was chartered by the State of Louisiana as Orleans Neighborhood Centers. In 1934 the agency, responding to a study of recreation needs, decentralized its programs throughout the city, organizing children's groups in local facilities as requests came in. In 1953 the emphasis of the agency shifted to working with children with special needs.
Sources: Manuscripts Collection 403
Note Author: LAC Group