Kuntz, Felix H. (Felix Herwig), 1890-1971. | Tulane University Special Collections
Felix Herwig Kuntz was the son of Rosemonde Elizabeth and Emile Kuntz and the brother of Emile N. Kuntz. The family's wealth was from his grandfather's having been awarded a legendary diamond necklace by the Hapsburg Emperor Maximilian of Mexico for outstanding service in representing the interests of the Bank of Austria to Imperial Mexico before its 1867 fall. He used the sale of the diamonds to finance various land purchases throughout Southern Louisiana, notably in the Oil and Gas rich Terrebonne Parish. Kuntz, who ran a real estate firm, was an avid collector of documents, paintings and furniture during and after the Great Depression.
The documents in this collection were items that Kuntz collected for his own personal interest. Kuntz approached officials of Tulane University in the early 1950s with the proposal to donate his collection as a memorial to his parents, Rosemonde E. and Emile Kuntz, whose names the collection would bear. To facilitate access to the material he requested, as a condition of the gift, that the school prepare and publish a detailed catalogue. At the time of the first donation in 1954, Tulane University gave Kuntz assurances that, in recognition of his munificence, the school would indeed publish such a catalogue. Felix Kuntz donated his collection in stages, starting in 1954. At the time of the last donation in 1970, the gift had exceeded 3,500 manuscripts and printed ephemera, and many hundreds of rare books and pamphlets. As the University received each of the gifts, various cataloguers, working under the direction of Connie Griffith, then Head of the Manuscripts Division, processed the documents by sections and prepared descriptions of the materials in the separate groups. Guillermo Nanez Falcon compiled and edited the volume in 1981. The Kuntz collection is one of the Louisiana Research Collection's most popular collections. LaRC is pleased to present the online version of the Kuntz catalog, which retains the comprehensiveness of the original published catalog.