Benedict family papers, 1804-1974 | Louisiana Research Collection
By Eira Tansey
ID: LaRC/Manuscripts Collection 461
Primary Creator: Benedict family.
Extent: 1.0 Boxes. More info below.
Arrangement: The collection is arranged as follows: Ada Benedict papers, Alice Benedict papers, other family papers, other items, diplomas and certificates, a scrapbook, and a painting. The collection consists of 1 box and 1 oversized folder. It is 2 linear feet.
Date Acquired: 10/00/1951. More info below under Accruals.
Subjects: Benedict family., Condolence notes., Education -- Louisiana -- New Orleans., Louisiana -- History -- 19th century., Louisiana -- History -- 20th century., Louisiana -- Social life and customs., New Orleans (La.) -- History -- 19th century., New Orleans (La.) -- History -- 20th century., Traditional medicine -- Louisiana.
Education -- Louisiana -- New Orleans.
Louisiana -- History -- 19th century.
Louisiana -- History -- 20th century.
Louisiana -- Social life and customs.
New Orleans (La.) -- History -- 19th century.
New Orleans (La.) -- History -- 20th century.
Traditional medicine -- Louisiana.
Access Restrictions: Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Use Restrictions: Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Acquisition Source: Alice Leigh Moise
Acquisition Method: Gift.
Preferred Citation: Benedict family papers, Manuscripts Collection 461, Louisiana Research Collection, Howard-Tilton Memorial Library, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70118.
Processing Information: Collection originally processed in 1954 and again in 1989 by ML.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid information entered in Archon by LAC Group. Revised by LAC Group 8/8/11.
Other Note: OCLC Number: 496817267
Browse by Box:
[Box 1: Benedict family papers],
[Oversize folder 1],
- Box 1: Benedict family papers
- Folder 1: Ada Benedict, 1870-1879
- Report cards, commencement addresses of Upper Girls School, and compositions of Ada Benedict. Also, Houston Lights Guard Honorary Member's certificate and composition book of Ada Benedict.
- Folder 2: Family papers, 1875
- Recipes for medicines, cosmetics, foods and liquors; household hints.
- Folder 3: Ada and Charles Wright, 1884-1896
- Marriage certificate of Charles Wright and Ada Benedict; three bank papers of Ada and Charles Wright.
- Folder 4: Alice Benedict and Edward Bres, 1877-1918, undated
- Wedding invitation; two photos of Lieutenant Edward Bres in uniform, 1918; one notebook of Edward Bres, Engineering Company, 1917-; school papers of Alice Benedict.
- Folder 5: Other Benedict family members' papers
- Mr. and Mrs. Phillip Benedict's 50th wedding anniversary party, 1886; school records of other Benedict children, 1858-1890, including Commencement Program for Tulane Law School, 1890.
- Folder 6: Family papers
Letter of introduction from ________, St. Petersburg to ______ Cohen, Hudson River Railroad Company, New York. Introducing Thomas Winans. 1858.
"A statement about arrest in Alexandria, Louisiana by order of General Richard Taylor." Unsigned. 1864.
- Folder 7: Family papers
- Resolution of condolence; letter of condolence to Mrs. James E. Moise from Hopkins P. Breazeale, Jr. on the death of James E. Moise. Attached: article about Single Cell Protein Project. 1974.
- Folder 8: Other items
- Pamphlet of President Wilson's War Address to Congress, 1917; invitation to silver anniversary party for Mary Ellen McDonald, principal of Franklin School, 1902; also, passport in Russian, 1858; two maps of Wright County, Iowa, undated; clippings on the Liberty Bell; the death of Jefferson Davis, undated and 1889; and Daily States miniature, undated.
- Volume 1: Scrapbook of clippings about family members and Newcomb College
- Poor condition.
- Item 1: Painting on wood, unfinished
- Oversize folder 1
- Diplomas for Mary Ellen Benedict, 1855, Julia Benedict, 1861, and Ada Benedict, 1875, from Girls and Upper Girls High Schools, New Orleans. Certificate of membership in Public School Lyceum and Library Society for Julia Benedict, 1863. Pharmacy degree, University of Louisiana, for Charles Wright, 1879. Also, five papers relating to land ownership in Lancaster, Pennsylvania by John, Leonard, and Jacob Sommer, and Samuel Bryan. 1804-1829.