Petitpain, Fazende, and related families papers, 1776-1925 | Louisiana Research Collection
By LAC Group
ID: LaRC/Manuscripts Collection 617
Primary Creator: Petitpain family.
Other Creators: Fazende family.
Extent: 1.0 Boxes
Arrangement: The collection is arranged into two sections, then chronologically: documents concerning the Faure, Leseur and Leturneaux families (folders 1-13) and documents concerning the Fazende and Petitpain families (folder 14). The collection consists of one box.
Date Acquired: 09/25/1969. More info below under Accruals.
Access Restrictions: Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Use Restrictions: Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Acquisition Source: Mr and Mrs. Douglas F. Petitpain.
Acquisition Method: Gift.
Preferred Citation: Petitpain, Fazende, and related families papers, Manuscripts Collection 617, Louisiana Research Collection, Howard-Tilton Memorial Library, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70118.
Processing Information: Collection processed in 1982.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid information entered in Archon by LAC Group in 2011.
Other Note: OCLC Number: 810216699
Browse by Box:
[Box 1: Petitpain, Fazende, and related families papers],
- Box 1: Petitpain, Fazende, and related families papers
- Folder 1: Baptism and birth certificate, 1776 October 15
- Certificate of birth and baptism of Jacque Louis, son of Louis Etienne Jacinte and Ann Marie Thérèse Leseur. French.
- Folder 2: Extracts of mortgages, 1788-1812
1788 - Bonnabel mortgages land he owns near Bayou Castin.
1812 - His widow mortgages a house. Spanish.
- Folder 3: Baltimore extracts, 1794 February 13
- Extract from the registers of the vice-consulate in Baltimore certifies that Jean Baptiste Leseur and his wife are staying in Baltimore after leaving San Domingo. French.
- Folder 4: Bill of sale draft, 1804 July 1
- Draft of a bill of sale by M. Joseph Rabasa to M. Letourno of a house situated on Bayou Castin. French.
- Folder 5: Will of Jean Baptiste Leseur-Fontaine, 1812 June 15
Jean Baptiste Leseur-Fontaine born 1745 June in Paris, settled in San Domingo 1774, married 1775 October. He gives indication for his funerals and bequeathes all he owns to his sister and nephews. His estranged wife should only inherit if the law commands it. He also gives a description of what he owns in San Domingo and New Orleans, and tells of a bill of exchange he has not been able to settle.
Of note: He bequeaths his collection of the mionteur to the town council (for history writers). He wants his slave Thales to be freed and given money after his death. French.
- Folder 6: Repair estimate, undated, prior to 1822
- Estimate of repair work to be done by Toussain Letournaux in La Grande Pompe. French.
- Folder 7: Marriage contract, 1822 February 11
- Marriage contract between Jean Faure and Marie Plauché, widow of Toussain Letoureaux. French.
- Folder 8: Compensation claim, 1826 April 11
- Model for making a claim of compensation for loss sustained in San Domingo. French.
- Folder 9: Henri Cosnard to Jean Faure about a land dispute, 1833 May 10
- Henri Cosnard to Jean Faure regarding a law case. Cosnard says that he consulted a friend who knows the land commissioner in Washington, and he promises to forward the information as soon as he gets it. He adds news of himself and his family. French.
- Folder 10: M. Caculle to Jean Faure about a land dispute, 1833 June 14
- M. Caculle to Jean Faure assuring him that his case will soon come to court. French.
- Folder 11: Letter to a lawyer about a land dispute, undated, circa 1833
- Author unknown. It could be Jean Faure. Draft of a letter to his lawyer about a land he accuses Marigny of having usurped. French.
- Folder 12: Agreement on disputed land, 1850 October
- Draft of an agreement between Jean Faure and his wife Marie Plauché on the one hand, and W.B. Koonte on the other. They take temporary measures for a land they both claim to be theirs.
- Folder 13: Maps, undated
- Area situated near Bayou Castin. Lands owned by Piquery and Rabasa shown in Folder 13. Probably same land as mentioned in Folders 9 -12.
- Folder 14: Fazende family papers, 1872-1925
1872 February 4. Birth registration receipt for Francois Léonce Fazende.
1872 September 9. Funeral notice for Francois Léonce Fazende.
1872 September 9. Newspaper clipping: funeral notice for Francois Léonce Fazende.
1873 June 6. Birth registration receipt for Joseph L. Fazende.
1874 June 13. Birth registration receipt for Marie Alexandrine Fazende.
1878 September 28. Funeral notice for Joseph L. Fazende.
1878 September 28. Newspaper clipping: Funeral notice for Joseph L. Fazende. French.
1878 September 28. Newspaper clipping: Funeral notice for Joseph L. Fazende.
1881 September 5. Birth registration for Marie Eugénie Fazende.
1884 March 13. Funeral notice for Marie Eugénie Fazende.
1884 March 13. Newspaper clipping: funeral notice for Marie Eugénie Fazende. French.
1884 March 13. Newspaper clipping: funeral notice for Marie Eugénie Fazende.
1885 September. Birth registration receipt for Marie Corinne Fazende.
1889 March 18. Ernest Faure and other members of the parish of St. Tammany acknowledge themselves indebted to the state governor.
1895 May 4. Retail Clerk's Journal - first page article on F. Léonce Fazende.
1898 May 9. Three funeral notices for F. Léonce Fazende.
1898 May. Newspaper clippings: article announcing death and funeral of F. Léonce Fazende and giving a brief account of his life.
1898 June 1. Funeral bill for F. Léonce Fazende.
1903 February 8. Funeral notice for Mme. Jules C. Delery and newspaper clipping announcing death of Mrs. Jules Delery, nes Marie Alexandrine Fazende.
1903 February 20. Funeral bill for Mrs. Jules Delery.
1904 December 31. Funeral bill for A. Petitpain.
1907 January 31. Funeral bill for Ernest Petitpain.
1907 December 19. Certificate by attorney of law Gustave Llambias that Marie Fazende has completed a course in commercial law.
1909 March 10. Funeral notice for Joseph Victor Fazende.
1909 March 29. Funeral bill for Joseph Victor Fazende.
1914 May 17. Teacher certificate for Marie Fazende.
1917 November 20. Funeral bill for widow of F. Léonce Fazende.
1921 January 29. Funeral bill for James Fazende.
1922 September 1. Certificate of high school grade for Marie Fazende.
1925 May 16. Teacher certificate for Marie Fazende.
undated. Piece of poetry. French.