Benjamin Farar papers, 1773-1826 | Louisiana Research Collection
By Ariel St.Etienne
ID: LaRC/Manuscripts Collection 65
Extent: 1.0 Boxes
Date Acquired: 06/07/1958
The collection consists correspondence to and from Benjamin Farar. Many of the letters are from New Orleans, from Farar's wife, Mary Ellis, and her sister Jane Ellis Rapalje, and his daughters Mary Farar and Anna Farar Mercer, wife of Dr. William N. Mercer. The letters contain information on family matters, comments on local news, relations of balls, races, theatre and other amusements.
The letters from Farar are for the most part written from Laurel Hill plantation, near Natchez, and contain descriptions of plantation life, planting crops and social activities in Natchez. Other letters are from friends and business associates and deal with both personal and business matters. Among the correspondents are Abner L. Duncan, William Kenner. John Dick, Thomas Butler. Also included are Patent Letters for land in Adams County, Miss., issued to Thomas Hutchins, and a Spanish land grant signed by Miro to Benjamin Farar.
Access Restrictions: Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Use Restrictions: Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Acquisition Source: Pierce Butler, Jr.
Acquisition Method: Gift.
Preferred Citation: Benjamin Farar papers, Manuscripts Collection 65, Louisiana Research Collection, Howard-Tilton Memorial Library, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70118.
Processing Information: Collection finding aid created by intern Ariel St. Etienne.
Browse by Box:
[Box 1: Benjamin Farar papers, 1773-1826, undated],
- Box 1: Benjamin Farar papers, 1773-1826, undated
- Folder 1: 1773
- This folder includes a letter patent to Thomas Hutchins Esquire and what appears to be a survey of West Florida.
- Folder 2: Spanish land grant, 1787-1790
Includes a map of the land for Francisco de Castro, a copy of a letter from Gertie Beauford to Mary in regards to a rough draft of a 1790 Spanish land grant. Also included is what appears to be the land grant and a copy of the land grant.
Items are in Spanish and English.
- Folder 3: Farar family letters, 1809-1819
- This folder contains personal letters for the Farar family. It includes letters from Anna Farar to her father, letters from Mary Farar, and letters addressed to Captain Benjamin Farar.
- Folder 4: Farar family letters, 1820
- This folder contains personal letters for the Farar family. Many of the letters are to Mary Farar from her husband.
- Folder 5: Farar family letters, 1821-1824
- This folder contains personal letters for the Farar family. It includes correspondence between Benjamin Farar and John Dick, as well as letters to Benjamin from his child.
- Folder 6: Farar family letters, 1825-1826, undated
- This folder contains various letters for the Farar family. Many of the letters are addressed to Benjamin Farar.
- Folder 7: Inventory
- This folder contains a typed list of inventory of the collection.