Laussat proclamations, 1803 | Louisiana Research Collection
By LAC Group
ID: LaRC/Manuscripts Collection 660
Primary Creator: Laussat, Pierre-Clément de, 1756-1835.
Extent: 1.0 Boxes
Arrangement: The collection is arranged chronologically. The collection consists of one box.
Subjects: France -- Colonies -- Commerce., France -- Commerce -- Louisiana., French -- Louisiana -- History., French -- Louisiana -- New Orleans., Laussat, Pierre-Clément de, 1756-1835., Louisiana -- History -- To 1803., Louisiana -- Militia -- History -- 19th century., Louisiana Purchase., Municipal government -- Louisiana -- New Orleans -- History., Prefects (French government)
Forms of Material: Proclamations.
France -- Colonies -- Commerce.
France -- Commerce -- Louisiana.
French -- Louisiana -- History.
French -- Louisiana -- New Orleans.
Laussat, Pierre-Clément de, 1756-1835.
Louisiana -- History -- To 1803.
Louisiana -- Militia -- History -- 19th century.
Municipal government -- Louisiana -- New Orleans -- History.
Prefects (French government)
Access Restrictions: All documents are located in protective storage. Please ask staff member for assistance.
Use Restrictions: Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Acquisition Source: Andre Lafargue.
Preferred Citation: Laussat proclamations, Manuscripts Collection 660, Louisiana Research Collection, Howard-Tilton Memorial Library, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70118.
Finding Aid Revision History: Finding aid information entered in Archon by LAC Group in 2011.
Browse by Box:
[Box 1: Laussat proclamations, 1803 March-December],
- Box 1: Laussat proclamations, 1803 March-December
- Folder 1: Document 1, 1803 March 26
- 6 Germinal An XI. Proclamation on the return of Louisiana under French rule. Document signed.
- Folder 2: Document 2, 1803 March 26
- 6 Germinal An XI. Proclamation on the return of Louisiana under French rule. Document unsigned.
- Folder 3: Document 3, 1803 November 30
- 8 Frimaire An XII. Laussat announces the official transfer of Louisiana to the United States, explains why France had to sell the colony and what benefits are to be expected from this new status. Document.
- Folder 4: Document 4, 1803 November 3
- 8 Frimaire an XII. Proclaims the raising of the French flag. Document.
- Folder 5: Document 5, 1803 November 30
8 Frimaire An XII. "Arrêté pour l'établissement de l'autorité municipale" nominating new members on the municipal council to reestablish French rule. Document signed.
- Folder 6: Document 6, 1803 November 30
- 8 Frimaire An XII. "Arrêté concernant l'administration provisoire des douanes à la Nouvelle Orléans." Decree reorganizing the customs, nominating Garland General Administrator of Customs, and deciding that the tariffs should not be changed. Document signed.
- Folder 7: Document 7, 1803 November 30
- 8 Frimaire An XII. "Arrêté pour la sureté du Greffe et des Archives publiques à la Nouvelle Orléans." Decree taking measures to ensure the security of public and judiciary archives. It directs that commissioners appointed by the municipal council immediately visit and put under seal all depository of archives and of notarial and judicial records. Document.
- Folder 8: Document 8, 1803 November 30
- 8 Frimaire An XII. "Arrêté concernant la sureté des deniers publics et la comptabilité des caisses municipales de la Nouvelle Orléans." Decree taking measures to ensure the safety of state and municipal funds, cash books, and financial records. Document.
- Folder 9: Document 9, 1803 December 1
9 Frimaire An XII. "Formation de l'Etat-Major de la Milice." Appointing new members to the militia staff. Document.
Durel, the elder, Lieutenant
- Folder 10: Document 10, 1803 December 1
- 9 Frimaire An XII. Decree appointing Baptiste Durel as new treasurer of the militia. Document.
- Folder 11: Document 11, 1803 December 2
- 10 Frimaire An XII. Decree confirming Louis Blanc in his charge of syndic for the policing of the bridge on Bayou St. John. Document.
- Folder 12: Document 12, 1803 December 3
- 10 Frimaire An XII. Decree setting the old people's institution under the authority of the municipal council. Document.
- Folder 13: Document 13, 1803 December 3
- 10 Frimaire An XII. Decree appointing new members to the militia. Document signed.
- Folder 14: Document 14, 1803 December 3
- 10 Frimaire An XII. "Arrêté qui met le Sieur St. Julien en liberté sous caution qu'il se présentera devant les autorités chaque fois qu'il en sera requis." Decision to free Mr. St. Julien on parole while awaiting trial. He has been arrested on charge of sedition, but Laussat interprets it as intense patriotism to France. Document.
- Folder 15: Document 15, 1803 December 5
- 13 Frimaire An XII. Decree reorganizing the militia, confirming in their position most of the officers except such as choose to remain in the service of Spain. Document.
- Folder 16: Document 16, 1803 December 5
- 13 Frimaire An XII. Decree appointing officers to fill in vacancies in the four "Compagnies de Volontaires du Mississippi." Document.
- Folder 17: Document 17, 1803 December 6
- 14 Frimaire An XII. Decree confirming in their posts local civil servants such as choose to remain in the service of Spain. Document.
- Folder 18: Document 18, 1803 December 16
- 24 Frimaire An XII. After a fire destroyed various buildings in New Orleans prefect Laussat reminds the inhabitants of the importance of efficient firemen and creates a "Compagnie de Sapeur Pompiers." Document. McMurtrie Sup. #34.
- Folder 19: Document 19, 1803 December 17
- 24 Frimaire An XII [sic]. Because he thought laws on slavery had not been properly enforced and because slave owners had complained, Prefect Laussat gives new force to the 1724 decree on slave owning, except such articles as opposed to the constitution of the United States. Document.