Poydras Home (New Orleans, La.) | Tulane University Special Collections
Name: Poydras Home (New Orleans, La.)
Variant Name: Poydras Asylum, Female Orphan Society
Historical Note: Chartered in 1817, the Female Orphan Society, New Orleans was known from 1818 onward as the Poydras Asylum or Poydras Home. It was originally a haven for children and widows left destitute during the yellow fever epidemic. A wealthy French merchant, Julien Poydras, was an early supporter and donated a home at St. Charles Avenue and Julia Street for the use of the Society. He also donated the then-significant sum of $100. In appreciation, the Board of Managers changed the Society's name to Poydras Asylum, later to become Poydras Home. Because of overcrowding at its original location, Poydras Home moved to a new location on Magazine Street and Jefferson Avenue in 1857. Over the years, the Poydras Home has changed its mission from serving orphaned children to providing care to the elderly.
Sources: Manuscripts Collection 69
Note Author: LAC Group