Jackson Brewing Company (1890-1970) | Tulane University Special Collections

Name: Jackson Brewing Company (1890-1970)


Historical Note:

On June 6, 1890, Andrew Jackson sat poised upon his horse in Jackson Square as he oversaw the laying of the cornerstone of the original brewery building. In his honour, it was originally named Jackson Bohemian Brewery, but was later shortened first to Jax Beer, and then finally to Jackson Brewing Company. The brewery was founded by Lawrence Fabacher, Sr. in 1890 at 600 Decatur Street after a long process of choosing a location. Since its establishment, the brewery has remained in the hands of family and close associates. It remains today as a noteworthy landmark in New Orleans.

Jackson Brewing Company, along with about 30 other small breweries, opened at a time when local brews were gaining popularity. Quite quickly, Jackson Brewing Company became the largest brewery in the South and the tenth largest in the nation. Their brew was sold from Georgia to Houston. As the demand increased and bottling capacity reached the maximum, the brewery started construction on new cellars. The cellars were completed in 1941 and 30 barrel units with vortex pasteurizers were added to increase production and efficiency. One machine that set Jackson Brewery apart was its six Ermold Automatic Multiple Labelers. These machines never caused a delay in labeling all the bottles. On December 30, 1954, Jackson Brewing Company celebrated its millionth barrel. Mayor DeLessep “Chep" Morrison placed a ribbon over the barrel at the gala celebration, and many other notable people were in attendance.

The Jackson Brewing Company worked with shipping and railroad companies, advertising companies, dealt with the effects of the 1941 embargo, petroleum companies, and local government throughout their time of production. They also worked with local groups in New Orleans, most notably starting girls’ and boys’ softball and basketball teams.

The company closed in 1974 as the oldest brewer in New Orleans and the only brewer to survive Prohibition. The building remains today as a historical landmark with the company name still adorning the façade.






Page Generated in: 0.092 seconds (using 94 queries).
Using 12.78MB of memory. (Peak of 12.97MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign