Christian Woman's Exchange (New Orleans, La.) | Tulane University Special Collections
Name: Christian Woman's Exchange (New Orleans, La.)
Historical Note: The Christian Woman's Exchange was founded in New Orleans in 1881. Its original purpose was to provide a place where needy women could sell homemade products or family heirlooms. Throughout its history, the Christian Woman's Exchange has been financially supported by prominent New Orleans women including, Ira A. Richardson, Caroline S. Tilton, Charles L. Howard, and M.L. Whitney. In 1887, the Exchange acquired the Edwards House, on the corner of Camp and South Streets, which held a shop, a library, a lunchroom, and a rooming house for women. In 1924, the Exchange purchased the Hermann-Grima House at 820 St. Louis Street. This building was restored in the twentieth century; in 2009, for more information, see: http://www.hgghh.org/.
Sources: Manuscripts Collection 257
Note Author: et